Friday, October 9, 2015

The twenty best things I've ever done in my life




Do you ever have those days when you start to dwell on all the mistakes you've made? Like that time you decided to get a credit card in university and wound up paying piles of interest on a pizza you ordered five ten years later? Or when you stayed for too long in a relationship that was terrible for you? Or when you decided, sure I'll try one cigarette--what could possibly go wrong?

I think we've all had those days, but they aren't very useful. They don't make us feel good, they aren't very motivating, and for dwellers (like me) they can ruin a perfectly great week. So today I wanted to think about all the good decisions I've made in my life. And wouldn't you know it, at the time some of those good things felt a whole lot like mistakes. I guess a little failure isn't a bad thing after all.



The twenty best things I've ever done in my life

1. Marry a man from Alabama.

2. Then have two delightful daughters.

3. Start my PhD (because I met Matty on our first day of the same doctoral program).

4. Quit my PhD.

5. Finally go to midwifery school.

6. Catch a baby.

7. Tell my dear friends how much I love them.

8. Spend a summer "working" in Whistler when I was twenty.

9. Leave a relationship that made me feel like shit.

10. Get a library card.

11. Watch my mother in the kitchen.

12. Move far away all by myself.

13.  Learn to say no.*

14.  Dance.

15. Accept that I'm introvert.

16.  Love my children with abandon.

17. Talk through the night until the sun came up.

18. Speak openly about my mental illness

19. Be a feminist.

20. Love hard.

*Work in progress.

What would you add to your list? 


Be well!
xo 

No comments:

Post a Comment