Monday, June 17, 2013

I dedicate this anniversary to the man who rubs my feet every single day


 Dear Matty,

This morning you woke me up. I was in our bed, wrapped up in the arms of our eldest daughter. She had spent the night with me because you needed to spend the night with our youngest daughter. I stepped out of bed, walked into the kitchen, and immediately we began an intricate dance trying to team-tackle the five piles of cat vomit that Hille had so lovingly thrown up seconds before (around the time I was untangling my arms from our daughter's). Minutes later you cornered the small one with a bottle of sunscreen while I convinced the taller one get dressed before breakfast. As one was bouncing around begging to watch one of the DVDs she brought home from the library, the other was declaring (loudly) that she really needed to play with one of her sister's toys. Somewhere in between the madness I prepared some breakfast for our first born while you ushered our second born out the door. There were hugs, squishy kisses, giggles, yelps, bounces, whispers, cries, and together we all started our day. With you on your way to daycare/work and me on my way to school drop-off/work, our Monday had begun.

And then a couple of hours later I realized that today is our sixth wedding anniversary.

Ten years ago we met on the first day of school. Eight years ago you finally found the nerve tell me you were sweet on me (though only after I asked you out on repeated dates). And six years we stood under the chuppah, surrounded by the people we love, and became a family.

Then there were children, jobs, moves, adventures, more moves, more adventures, laughter, sighs, gasps, sobs, and kisses. Lots of kisses. We have leaped through life together these six years and while we find ourselves distracted by the world zooming around us, I can only leap because you leap with me. Thank you for holding on so tightly. The madness that surrounds us means nothing.

Also, thank you for the children. We did good.


Happy Anniversary, Matty. xox

4 comments:

  1. A true tribute to the reality and joy of marriage. I used to think people who celebrated 20 years were heroes for getting that far, but I'm beginning to suspect that they get that far because the first 10-15 years are a blur of child rearing, sleepless nights, pickups and drop offs, and rushed kisses hello and goodbye. Truly! :) Here's to many more years together! Very loving, happy post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tears. So wonderful Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, everyone! It's fun to celebrate each other, isn't it? On account of this post I came home late from class to a chilled bottle of champagne! It was a very good anniversary.

    ReplyDelete