Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Monday sucked



I've been all talk of regular posting lately, and on Monday afternoon I was about hit publish on an update about my weekend to kick off a week of regular updates, but then I heard about the explosions at the Boston Marathon and I couldn't hit publish. Later that night I heard that an eight-year-old boy died in the explosions and I just didn't know what to do. I know eight-year-old boys (and five-year-old girls and almost-three-year-old girls) who have families who love them and need them, and I'm just so sad.

I do not enjoy running, not even a little bit. As my friend Larissa declares, I'm a lover, not a runner. But I love marathoners. I think they are a bit wacky, but I love them for it. I love how they believe in themselves enough to run for hours and hours for apparently no reason (I'm sure they have reasons but I just can't for the life of me figure them out). I love that they push themselves and how they are supported and cheered on by thousands of strangers. Anyway, like I said, I'm just so sad about the whole thing. My husband went to college in Boston and has for years told me about how special this days is in Boston. He gets this lovely, nostalgic grin on his face and tells me about how the Red Sox play an early game before the marathon ends, how almost everything shuts down so that people can be there to cheer on the marathoners as they cross the finish line. I just don't understand.

Anyway, I'm back to my regularly scheduled life, as we all need to do, but I just want to declare that Monday sucked.

Be well and smile at someone today, because I just don't know what else there is to do but offer some love.

Photo from The Boston Globe

2 comments:

  1. My nose prickles with unshed tears every time I think about that boy. I saw a picture of him and everything about him reminds me so much of Jude, and the joy we're deriving from his presence in our life. He's just the age where he's starting to stretch away from us in wonderful says, becoming more "his" and less "ours", but no less beloved. My heart just weeps daily for all those who lost their feet and legs. It's unbelievable, really...and we have to keep teaching our children that the world is a good and a safe place in spite of our misgivings. :*(
    Smiles all around here, just to counteract the tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of Jude when I saw that photo. For a moment I even thought it was Jude. I am an optimist who loves the world in spite of its many faults, but I still don't know how to process things like this, never mind how to teach my children about them. Ugh.

      Give your children big hugs for me.

      Delete