Sunday, July 15, 2012

My ten favourite sounds


I was hiding in my room this morning trying to work for an hour or so before the day got away from me, and I was interrupted by the noise of my Shira screeching through the house, trying to convince Alyce to play with with her. No matter how much I craved some quiet, I couldn't help but grin from ear to ear at the sound of Shira's eagerness to join in on the fun. It got me thinking.

My Ten Favourite Sounds

1. Shira, trying to catch up with her big sister, declaring "ME, TOO!"
2. Coffee beans grinding.
3. The way Alyce hums happy food noises as she eats.
4. The sounds of a baseball game.
5. The thunderstorms we should be having in this dreadful heatwave, but aren't. (Update: see P.S. below)
6. My friends laughing.
7. Those hushed, secret whispers between Alyce and Shira.
8. Hearing music that makes me want to dance.
9. Quiet.
10. Matt laughing at his own jokes.

P.S. I wrote this list in the morning and in the afternoon there were storms, or so I hear. We were in Cambridge all afternoon and know nothing of storm. What's that they say about a no one being around to hear a tree falling in a forest?

P.P.S. And now I'm reminded of my very favourite Gary Larson comic of all time, from The Far Side:

"If a tree falls in the woods, and nobody is around to hear it, and it hits a mime, does anyone care?" I read that one in high school and I am still giggling. No offence, mimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment