Wednesday, March 7, 2012

May I introduce you to some people I know?

Vancouver 2008 
(In both photos of the girls, Sydney is on the left and Alyce on the right.)

Ok, you might want to take notes:

I have a brother. His name is Noah and he is eight.

I have a sister. Her name is Sydney and she is four.

I am twenty-six years older than Noah. Alyce is two months younger than Sydney, her aunt.

Shira has no idea who these people are.

Who is this secret family, you ask? They're no secret! They just live too far away from me, that's all. After my parents divorced my father moved to British Columbia, in the end choosing Vancouver (an excellent choice). Fortunately for everyone involved, but mostly me, he met Kate, one of my favourite people in the world. They got married, blah, blah, blah, but most importantly they had some kids. And now they are some of my favourite people in the world (sorry, Kate). I wanted siblings my entire life, and even if I had to wait almost thirty years for them, it was worth it.

I don't see them enough, that's for sure. I used to travel west a few times a year, especially once Noah was born. He was the love of my life, but then I had kids of my own (Noah, you are still my love). Now I'm lucky if I can visit once a year or two. My last visit was October 2009, when Alyce was almost two and I was pregnant with Shira. Before that it was March 2008 (photos above), when Alyce and Sydney were three and five months old, respectively. Could an aunt and her niece be any cuter? Of course not.

But guess who was surprised this week with some tickets to Vancouver?

Me! And The Children!

Sorry, Matt. You need to stay home and work. Umm, we'll call you.

In less that two weeks we will board a plane to Vancouver. Now it is time to become preoccupied with the following details:
  • How do I fly on my own with two kids? Will one of the flight attendants take Shira for me?
  • Last time Alyce adjusted to the time change by waking up at 2:00 am in Vancouver. I would rather not relive that history.
  • We'll have most days on our own, so what should we do? I have a few requirements: ocean, mountains, and markets. Anyone in Vancouver have a suggestion for us?
  • My dad works in the shoe business. What kind of shoes will I come home with?
  • Will Sydney, who is a four year old girl, and Alyce, who is also a four year old girl, have enough princess dresses and tiaras to share?
All important details, I know. But I can't wait! More details to come.

What would you do in Vancouver if you found yourself there in March? Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment