Friday, February 24, 2012

An interview with Dani

 I am starting a series of interviews with the mamas I know in my life. I am endlessly inspired and encouraged by these women, some of whom I've known since childhood, others I've only met recently. I wanted to share some of their thoughts with you in hopes of making our community even just a little bit bigger.


For our first interview, I bring you Dani. I met Dani in Delaware and I would not be exaggerating if I told you that she made my Delaware life infinitely better. She is kind, silly, and eager to make everyone's day a little easier. I am grateful to know her. She has a little boy named Finley.  I'll let her to tell you the rest.





1. Tell us a little about yourself and introduce that glorious little boy of yours.

I'm 36. I have 2 bachelor's degrees, one in film, one in nursing. I live in Wilmington, DE, USA, which is your average suburb with Paneras and Starbucks, gigantic grocery stores, Target, Wal-mart, the YMCA and lots of parents and kids. I will be taking the exam to become a certified lactation consultant this year.  My little boy Finley is almost 22 months old. He enjoys watching "wideos" on youtube of animals, trains and trucks. This is his current fave http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2btR9rAcdzo.  He does not enjoy regular cats. When he sees them he screams like he was just clawed by Freddy Krueger.



2. What is your super power? (You know you have one.) For example, I can solve most of Alyce and Shira's problems by dancing.

My super power is getting Finley to eat by watching said "wideos." Ok, well actually his dad discovered that.  I guess I'd have to say it's probably what every mama has, that crazy thing where you're so connected to your kid that you hear everything they say even when you're in a room full of people.  It helps him understand he's not being ignored even though it can look that way and helps me get his needs met before he has to cry for someone's attention.



3. What's the hardest part of your parenting day, and do what do you do to work around it, or help make it hurt your head less?

Something about 5:00pm doesn't seem to agree with us. Finley starts to spin out of control. When the weather isn't freezing or pitch black because of dang daylight savings, the best thing to do is go for a walk.  When that's not available, guess what? More videos.


4. Who do you look to for support as a parent?

Twitter mostly. Mama blogs. Very few people in real life.


5. What's been the toughest adjustment since becoming a parent?

Having very few people in real life to look to for support and parenting relief.


6. If you could only teach Finley one thing about the world, what would it be?

Everybody wants the same thing, don't they?
Everybody wants a happy end
They wanna see the game on Saturday
They wanna be somebody's friend

Everybody wanna work for a living
Everybody wants their children warm
Everybody wants to be forgiven
They want a shelter from the storm

Look at me, I ain't your enemy
We walk on common ground
We don't need to fight each other

This is from a song called Solidarity by Black Uhuru. I feel that it really expresses what I was looking for as a child. Children seem like they're naturally connected to each other. Their boundaries are few. If my son can remember when he's older that we're all basically the same, that will be amazing.


7. What ridiculously overpriced splurge do you wish you could spend on Finley? (For me, I would love to get one of those massive wooden doll houses.)

An Ivy League education and a 2 bedroom apartment in Manhattan.



Thanks, Dani! 

No comments:

Post a Comment