Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Claiming their space while getting down with their bad selves


On January 6 250 women in Beit Shemesh, Israel danced in flash mob protest of the tension growing in their community between some ultra-Orthodox, who have been pushing for a more segregated community, and more moderate members of the town. Things have been getting out of hand, with some men making terrible decisions, namely spitting on an eight year old girl (on account of her so-called immodest dress). I love that the women of this community are standing up for the right of shared space and the dignity of all people, and I love a good flash mob!

Note to men who spit on the young girl: shame on you.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm weeping now, having showed this to my daughters and trying to explain why the women danced. This is just beautiful. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful, isn't it? I just love it. I haven't even showed it to Alyce and Shira yet! Tonight.

    ReplyDelete