Sunday, November 13, 2011

Good thing I'm always hungry

It's no secret that I think about food a lot. I mostly blame the internet, though, with all its temptations and good ideas. Here are this week's offenders:

-Chicken Pot Pies are a weakness of mine. These individual pot pies are inspiring me to eat them more often.
-A soup made with roasted, caramelized cauliflower. My Sunday afternoon should be filled with this soup, except that we got hungry and ate the cauliflower for Shabbat dinner on Friday. We have no one to blame but ourselves.
-I was on the hunt for a good blueberry muffin recipe and found this one. I'm often disappointed with blueberry muffins, but these were not too sweet, the good kind of crumbly, and worked well with my frozen blueberries. I used whole wheat flour and no one was the wiser. Now if someone can please tell me how to store my muffins so that they aren't all gummy and sticky on top the next day, I will love you forever.


I'm looking for some good ideas for meals that store well in the fridge over the week. I've been in the habit of making a batch of something on Sunday that I can take to work for lunch a few days that week. So far I've made chili and a chick pea stew. I think it's time for something non-tomatoey. Any ideas?

5 comments:

  1. I was just about to do an Internet search for the same thing. Someone needs to create a cookbook for moms full of recipes to make and freeze on Sundays. Minimal time and ingredients are a must. Can't wait to see what you find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The solution to gummy muffins is to eat them all fresh out of the oven. All of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alternatively; bake six, and freeze six uncooked. Just put the paper-lined, batter filled muffin tin in the freezer. Once the uncooked muffins are frozen solid, dump them in a ziploc, to be baked some busy morning (add about 10 min. to the baking time). I find if I make a dozen, they do get gummy, or even mouldy on top because we don't eat them fast enough. I like surprising my kids with the yummy scent of baking muffins in the morning. Makes me feel like a good mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I haven't come up with any great new ideas for Sunday batch cooking yet. Yesterday I just made a large pot of quinoa and some roasted veggies that I can use for a couple of days. I'll probably end up making a soup tonight or tomorrow.

    And the muffins, ye KGH, you are completely right. And I have no trouble eating an entire tray of muffins (it's happened before). But I also love you runner-up idea. Freezing uncooked muffins is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time for a good winter soup -- chop up a butternut squash (or any good fleshy pumpkin) and a couple of sweet potatoes and roast them in the oven until they start to get a bit of colour, with olive oil and salt and pepper and a bit of rosemary. Then put in a pan, cover with veg stock, and simmer gently for half an hour. Then whiz in blender. BEST SOUP EVER.

    ReplyDelete