Thursday, April 28, 2011

Breathe



 We've all calmed down since Tuesday, me especially. Alyce and Shira have been up to their usual sisterly negotiations and some of the tension has left the air. This is a good thing. I've been using this time to think about what I can control in these moments of aggression and frustration, and of course, after getting Shira out of harm's way (Alyce's way, that is), the only thing I can control is me. It turns out that when you become a parent you aren't magically gifted with unending patience and serenity. I have some work to do. Thank you so much for all the good thoughts and truly helpful suggestions. It made my week.

Oh, and Alyce, please just use your words. I promise that I will listen to you. Promise.

Today we got outside. Between moments of strong wind and rain, we enjoyed the absolute green of our backyard in full bloom. And is there anything quite like the thrill of power washing on a beautiful spring day? I can't think of anything at the moment. Alyce insisted that we clean the spiders out of her enormous plastic house, and I can't blame the girl for wanting a home free of spiders. I didn't even tell her about the giant spider I saw crawling away from her slide, a spider so big that it broke blades of grass. I kid you not. But mostly we just carried our babies around for some fresh air, me carrying Shira and Alyce carrying Elmo.

We might have some moments, but she's an awfully good little mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment